Thursday, February 15, 2007

Orchids

So, in the office where I work, they brought two phalaenopsis plants to sit at the front desks of each floor (we occupy two floors of the building) about a month or so ago. At this point both of these poor fellows are living in my office struggling to survive the terrible medium they were forced to live in. One had a single healthy root with no signs of new growth, the other is in slightly better shape with one root that had partially survived, a couple of stumps of root that are still hanging on, and three little bumps that will grow into new roots given time. I've repotted both with new medium, mostly sphagnum moss with a little bark and sponge rock mixed in, and put the one that's in worse shape in a plastic bag with the top open for air circulation. I haven't decided yet whether I'll allow them to go back into the office if they survive or to officially adopt them :D For now they will keep the oncidium I brought into my office back in December company.

No comments: