Thursday, February 28, 2008

Life, the universe, etc.

My sister and her husband recently became parents to a lovely baby girl. She's really da*& cute, I'm serious. This has gotten me thinking about parenthood and the trials and tribulations facing parents today. So many people wait to have children until they can 'afford' to do so. (This is a fallacy. One never really knows what the costs and benefits of parenthood are until one is actually doing it.) I have a slightly different philosophy. Granted, what I'm about to write is probably what many people are thinking about but don't put into words, but hear me out.

Having children has much less to do with finances than with the readiness of the parents. For example: my sister and her husband are at a point in their lives where they will be better able to give that gorgeous little darling the attention and love she deserves than if they'd tried having a child earlier, what with grad school and working etc. While their lives haven't stopped and they will still be working, etc, they've chosen this time in order to benefit their child. In my mind this is one example of how ready they are to be parents.

I only hope that when it's my turn I'm able to be a good mom.

No comments: